1. Accept the fact that you are over weight: many persons are in denial about there weight and body images and avoid the scale at all costs. They ignore the fact that their clothes are fitting tighter or they are purchasing a size higher every other trip to the clothing store. Most time when reality hits it’s almost too late or they encounter health problems. Don’t be another statistic! Face the facts head on and get a reality check. By realizing where you truly are, you are better able to determine where you need or want to be.
2. Make and write down your weight loss goal. When goals are made, it is easier to visualize where you want to go, that goes for any goal or journey and weight loss is no different. Create your personal goal(s) and write them down on paper, paste it in your bed room in clear vision as a daily reminder of what you want to achieve. If possible get pictures of persons with similar weights with which you hope to obtain and place it next to your written goals. Look at your notes and pictures everyday and visualize yourself at that weight. This should give you the extra motivation and encouragement you need in obtain that goal.
3. Take baby steps: Many people start off with a bang when they take on a weight loss journey but seem to loose their way or the stimulus at some point before arriving at their goal. Its not a race so take small steps making small changes gradually. Eventually you can realize all the things you are aiming for once you are focused on exactly what you intend to achieve. At times you may need encouragement from a friend or relative. Reach out to someone who is supportive in your journey to help you get back on track. You can also track your progress with a journal, with pictures or video logging. It is a great way to see how far you have gone and how much more you need to go in your weight loss journey. If you can literally see the progress you are making, you will be more encouraged to continue to the end.
4. Reduce your soda intake: Soda can be addictive, especially those with caffeine like coke. The truth of the matter is that soda is nothing short of carbonated water, sugar and artificial colour. It has no nutritional benefits and can be used as an energy booster in high performance athletes. It is never advisable to go cold turkey because you will end up craving it. If you are used to drinking 7 sodas a week try cutting it down by 1 or 2 gradually over a few weeks and over time you will notice that you desire for it will start to decrease.
5. Drink more water: Water has many benefits for the body including keeping the skin well hydrated, helping to rid the body of potential harmful toxins and when substituted for soda and drinks full of sugar can promote weight loss. It is recommended that we drink 8-12 glasses of water daily to help keep our skin supple and soft.
6. Reduce the carbohydrate intake and Increase fruit and vegetable portions: There is a misconception that meat causes weight gain but that is a myth. Meat especially white lean meats like chicken breasts and turkey are full of protein which is essential particularly for persons who are lifting weights and those who play high intense sports. The actual culprits of weight gain are the carbohydrate rich foods like white bread, rice, pasta, white potatoes called the complex carbohydrates and sweets, jams and jellies known as simple carbohydrates. Why are they the culprits? The reason is that carbohydrates are sugars which will eventually be converted to energy. The problem with this is if the energy is not being properly used up, it will be stored in the body. If you are not an active person or not exercising then you will be gaining weight. That is why these are the types of food that should be drastically reduced as much as possible, in turn you will see the weight changes. You can substitute protein intake with peas, beans and eggs
7. Make healthier food choices: Food full of trans fat and salt are bad for your body in more than one ways. Staying clear of fried foods, processed and tin foods can make a big difference in your health. They foods mentioned are usually loaded with fat, cholesterol and salt and can contribute to serious health problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attack and stroke. Making healthier choices for instance eating more raw foods like carrots and lettuce, unsalted snacks like nuts and fresh fruits will significantly help you not only with loosing weight but getting a healthier body.
8. Read the labels: This is one thing we can all do that must people don’t do. Just because the front label says all natural that doesn’t make it so. You must read the back label for the fine prints, as it were, for especially the sugar, salt, fat and cholesterol levels. For an adult based on a 2000 caloric intake you should use the follow as a guide line:
9. Take the stairs: stair climbing is an easy but an effective form of exercise that can assist you in loosing a few extra pounds. Research has shown that stair climbing can be more effective than jogging thus burning more calories in the same time period. Try using the stairs instead of the elevator to get the heart pumping, burning more calories at the same time.
10. Ten minute exercises can make a big difference. There is no specific time to exercise. It all depends on the individuals preference and lifestyle that will determine the time of day. But it has been proven that as little at ten minute of exercise each day can make a big difference in the pounds you shed. Of coarse if you are heavier than you ought to be you will need to step it up a notch of at least 30 minutes everyday. Exercises can include playing a sport, cardio or aerobic work outs, weight lifting, bike riding, swimming and the list goes on. The trick is to find an activity that you will enjoy so that it doesn’t become a chore or task to do. If you are excited about the exercise you are going to do, you will be more willing to take the time out to get it done while getting fit at the some time.
Remember losing weight is not just about getting rid of the extra pounds but it is a life style change with a mind and body shift that is a healthier root to take. It wouldn’t always be easy, especially at the beginning but I urge you to stick with it and in time it will become routine for you.